To ensure the lifestyle you want and expect...
Ask these questions before you buy:
- What schools will my child attend?
- Where are they located?
- What are their test results?
- What is the consensus of local parents?
- Do they have the special programs necessary for my child?
- How will my child get to school? If needed, is a school bus available to this location?
- How far is it to work?
- How long am I willing to commute?
- Are there optional routes to take to work?
- If necessary, is public transportation available and convenient?
- What is the immediate neighborhood like?
- Is it well kept?
- How is traffic?
- Are shopping facilities adequate and convenient?
- How close are hospitals and/or medical centers?
- Are churches/synagogues close?
- Are police and fire protection adequate?
- If important, how close is the airport?
Recreation & Activities
- Does the Homeowner's Association provide recreational facilities such as:
golf, tennis, lake access, swimming pool, playgrounds
- Are there fees and regulations involved for their use?
- What additional recreational facilities are close by?
public/private/semi-private golf, country clubs, tennis, state parks, hiking/camping/boating/picnic, facilities, gyms
- How available are children's activities?
scouts, dance classes, martial arts, swimming, music schools, gymnastics, sports leagues
- Are there children in the neighborhood?
- Are movies, libraries, sports complexes, museums and other cultural event locations available and convenient?
Homeowner's Association & Neighborhood
- Is there a Homeowner's Association?
- How active are they?
- Can I live with their rules and regulations?
- What are their dues?
- Is the community well planned and well run?
Sewage, facilities, public water, sidewalks, septic drainage
- Are the above items available? If so, is the property hooked up?
- Are there protective zoning ordinances?
- Is there any vacant land close by?
- What is it zoned for?